Wednesday, April 15, 2020

One Last Good Day (in Savannah)

"I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you actually left them."-Andy Bernard

Who would've thought the, "good old days" was a mere month ago? 

There's a saying that goes something akin to, "you get one last good day before you die if you're terminally ill (or something to that effect)." Which is a phenomenon that people who are about to pass away from illness will have a day where they seem cured and in good spirits, then they die (I've also witnessed this with animals. RIP Bear, Theodore Bennett, Sabrina, Corese, Adam, Spunky, Chloe, Miffy, Stinky, Jake, and so many more-all buried in my parent's back yard. Check out the reboot of Pet Sematary in my parent's back yard next Halloween).

We all had one last hangout or event that was truly the LAST one we would have before the lockdown, of course we didn't know it at the time.

I am blessed with many amazing friends, all who I truly cannot imagine my life without at this point. One group of friends that I am still flabbergasted that are in my life and are such good friends to me are the LLOMSJ (lovely ladies of murder she joked-not quite the same tone as GLOW). Murder She Joked is an improv team I am proud to be part of. We are an, "improvised, true crime live podcast (without the recording)," and it's been a damn blast getting to work on developing the form and performing with these funny women. 

Let me just say, I like improv FINE. It's not my main bitch, but it's been a helpful tool for me in my other creative endeavors, and in everyday life, actually. What keeps me coming back are the people.

As most individuals around my age are realizing, it's incredibly hard to make new friends as an adult. I used to question why my parents still talk to their high school friends, as it seems they have nothing in common with them, besides their shared history of growing up in an arbitrary school district around the same time with the same social class standings. After uprooting and moving to a new city and starting over as an adult, I can absolutely see why.

Our improv team has been fortunate to have a (up until recently) monthly headlining show at the local improv theater, along with getting to perform in a few out of town shows and festivals. Our last show, and our, "last good day," was at the improv festival in Savannah, GA. For my personal life, it was a rather tumultuous weekend. I had to make a few big decisions that I was rather not fond of, but more on that later.

In spite of that, the weekend with the ladies (and Greg) was absolutely perfect. It was gorgeous outside, and everywhere we walked, it felt like we stepped back in time, or to an alternate universe where all our worries washed away, if only for a weekend. We did the typical touristy things, such as a ghost tour pub crawl, and ate all the good food (but not enough), and walked around a lot. Along with performing at the festival. It was perfect. 

Interestingly enough, the best part of the weekend for me was, on our last night, we all crowded into one of the bedrooms of our air bnb, drank wine, ate pizza, spilled wine (Rachel is a wizard with the Tide pen!), and talked until we fell asleep (and Dana kicked us out because she also wanted to sleep). It was like a scene out of a movie I had longed to see played out in my own life. Several close friends living in a giant house laughing and talking, all within the dreamy background of a place Savannah. We can do that literally anywhere, of course, but this memory will have a stronghold in my mind forever.

I am a pretty introverted person, and I require a lot of alone time, or else I get MOODY. Not going to lie, I was worried about spending an entire weekend, including the drive to and from, with a group of people. Not worried about them, but worried about me. That my grump side would come out, and I would do something I would regret, mostly due to my own inability to control my emotions (I'm working on it). But that didn't happen. I never grew tired of these magical humans that the universe somehow blessed me with.

I didn't have a lot of lady friends growing up (most of my hobbies were deemed, "masculine"-but the boys didn't want to play with me either), and I don't know how I got through life for so long without them. 

Friendships are the great romance of life. 

I didn't know adult friendships (or friendships in general) could be this good. Katy, Dana, Libby, and Rachel (and Greg), I can't imagine my life without them now, and despite our ups and downs, I will always love you, and you've got a friend in me. Forever. Thank you for making our last good day before quarantine so memorable. Here's to many more adventures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment