Saturday, March 28, 2020

PRO-ductivity

I'd like to fancy myself as a fairly productive, self-motivated person. Usually I allow myself to chill out after work for a little, and then I move onto writing or cleaning or some other project that will never see the light of day. Lately, it's been hard for me to curb that need to be productive all the time. Mostly because of the feeling that I HAVE to be doing something during this quarantine time. I mean, Shakespeare wrote "King Lear" during quarantine that one time, or so I've been told by everyone who is expecting great art to come out of this time period for everyone who identifies in the "creative" category.

Most days after work, I am beat, and that's when things were the old normal (I guess we have to call this the "new normal" for the time being. Probably longer if people don't get their shit together and actually fucking social distance. If you're one of the assholes who think this won't affect them, or hates the elderly and immunocompromised, fuck you). ANYWAYS, I digress.

Nowadays, I feel even more drained after my normal 7-8 hour grocery store clerk shift. I can chalk it up to mostly emotional energy that is being zapped faster than usual. So when I come home from work now, I can barely function (maybe it's the alcohol consumption, who am I to actually say?).

Early on in the pandemic, I was like the one "studious" twin from the Sweet Valley High books (I can't remember her name. Elizabeth? Peg? Suze?), where I would come home, attempt some weak "social activism" (telling people to fuck off if they're not taking this seriously and secretly wish they get it just to prove a point on my social media, and buying cool t-shirts to support local businesses), meal prep for the foreseeable future, read, write, go outside for really whatever, floss, online shop for things I don't need, watch The Office for "educational purposes", and exercise.

I also have taken up the challenge of changing my skincare routine and if you want to talk to me about it, please let me know. I still have pockmarks and chin zits but other than that my skin is GLOWING.

Now, only a week and a half into the serious business, I am lucky if I can come home after work, shower, change into "daytime pjs" and fall asleep on the couch to Tiger King with a half-eaten Trader Joe's frozen Indian meal (that I don't even like that much but I panic bought last week along with a container of diced onions, two bottles of salad dressing, and a sangria starter kit) like the rest of the country is doing (Right?).

I am trying to give myself some grace, and I hope you are too. This is a weird time and we are all coping and grieving in our own ways. I am hoping my anxiety mellows out, and I can allow myself guilt-free rest, and I hope you all are able to listen to your body and brain and give it what it needs during all of this. And (this is also mostly for me but) know that your self-worth isn't in what you do or don't do. Unless you're not taking this seriously and social distancing and overall being considerate, then fuck you.

No comments:

Post a Comment